TechBlog.tk

Google
Web David's Tech Blog

12.10.04

My Firefox Experience

Like most other people, I've always thought that Microsoft's Internet Explorer wasn't too bad a browswer.

Unfortunately, when the browser wars betweeen Microsoft and Netscape ended in '97, it seemed that I.E. development came screeching to a halt (Microsoft won with 97% of the market). The next few years would see many of the latest features abandoned by Microsoft's I.E. team altogether (png format, RSS, tabbed browsing etc).

BUT, the WORST THING was that I.E. was so plagued with holes and security flaws (imagine not even opening I.E. but still get plauged with viruses and trojan horses). This whole problem was exacerbated the first quater of this month, when 2 new viruses could take control of any Windows computer (thanks to the I.E. component integration with the 'Windows system core') without you doing anything whatsoever other than having a running computer connected to the internet.

THAT was the last straw. Sick and tired of being attacked online (despite having an antivirus and 2 firewall), I decided to use a different browser. I tried Opera, the most known alternative to I.E. Since it was a paid solution, I'd figured it was be great (like most paid solutions are vis-a-vis their free counterparts). My conclusion: too different from I.E. It simply didn't have 'it'.

That was when I first tried firefox. Well, the rest is history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home