TechBlog.tk

Google
Web David's Tech Blog

14.10.04

Time to ditch Windows?

Today would have seemed quite impossible a year ago. A year ago, it was undreamt that I, today, would be installing a non-Windows OS onto any computer. But that was what happened: I experimented with Linspire (p.k.a. Lindows; one of the many flavours of Linux that resembled Windows the most). How and why did I do that? Well, I was pretty busy this whole week and the thing that made me do this was this: I found a coupon that gave me a $49.95 rebate off Linspire (which costs 49.95).

Linspire was only moderately faster on my 2.8 GHz PC than Windows (but not according to Daniel who tried it on his Celeron machine out when I gave him a copy). But, the awesome thing about Linspire was it huge resemblence to Windows minus the drappy look and feel of Windows (the UI astoundinly resembled Mac OS). But, the bottom line was this: I will not run Linspire on my machine anymore due to some complicated reasons (though I will DEFINTELY as the pri. OS if I get time to restore and repair my other older computer).

Other than Linspire, Mac OS X is also making a buzz on the Windows tech scene. Reason? Cherry OS. Although I've heard of a similar beta app that does the same, called PearPC, I wasn't that inclined to run OS X from Windows because of the terribly slow speeds achieved. But the arrival of Cherry OS has rekindled this hope of using OS X on my PC within this year. Apparently this Cherry OS has a much simpler interface (no coding and scripting required as opposed to PearPC) plus it does a better emulation of the G4 chip than its predecessor. Guess what i did? Im just 2 hours away from having a Mac OS X CD to install once a trial of CherryOS is out. Plus, I'm not far from a video learning course from VTC on how to use OS X. Guess Id just have to learn how to use it first before being able to making the switch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home