TechBlog.tk

Google
Web David's Tech Blog

18.9.04

New Firefox ver out.

Hooray; after upgrading to the latest ver of Mozilla's firefox, I'm definitely now convinced that Firefox would be the next big browser. Flash back to the good old days of the Internet where Netscape was the only browser people could use and were contented with. Then next came Microsoft with their Internet Explorer (I.E.) which they bundled with all versions of all Microsoft OS (which commandeers a sweet 98% of the PC home market at its peak) after Windows 98. The result? I.E. is the dominant internet explorer. Most people also appreciated a faster, leaner browser than Netscape's All-in-one (with integrated chat and mail features). That was the main selling point of I.E. for me: lesser drainage of CPU power and wait time.

Flash forward to today, 2004 A.D: I.E.'s still the dominate broswer, but still lost some of their market share to other alternatives like Opera (paid solution) and Mozilla Firefox (open-source solution, like Linux) and its all-in-one alternative (the Mozilla suite). Firefox is my favourite among the three- it's the most like I.E. (standalone Internet browser with no useless addons like mail and chat features). But it's a notch above I.E.: it isn't plagued by all those holes,
security flaws, and bugs that are common to I.E.. Moreover, not only is it sleeker and meaner than I.E., it's very customizable with its open-source extensions and themes to jazz up the appearance of your browser. RIght now, I'm listening to some tunes with the FoxyTunes
extension without even opening any mp3 player (and hence less taskbar clutter), having instant 24/7 status check on my Gmail account without having even to login at all (has a very neat popup when I receive a new email), and surfing many sites with just one browser window open
(using the inbuilt tabs instead; like Opera).

The only prob i have with the latest ver of firefox is that some of the older extensions I used with my older version of firefox (0.7.3.) are not for this newer version; but new users to Firefox should enjoy every minute of their new Internet experience without any hitch, like I did 7 months ago. www.firefox.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home